Monday, March 28, 2011

Simplicity

The simple things…I mentioned this in my profile…that I enjoy them even when I may need reminders of what they are. The simple things can mean something different for each person.

For me it’s walking by my daughters room to see my cat curled up and sleeping peacefully in the middle of her bed, its watching Sammy play with the farm set we bought her for Christmas, all the while declaring “you can’t find me, Mommy!” when clearly, I already have. It’s watching my daughter “oh” and “ah” over a rainbow splashed upon the laminate flooring in the kitchen from a crystal hanging in the window. It’s driving over the hillside to my parent’s house, seeing nothing but hills and freedom and feeling a peace wash over me. It’s walking into my room and seeing the low glow from my grandma’s lamp sitting on the nightstand that once sat beside my grandparents bed. When my grandma had it, I remember always seeing a romance novel laying face down and open on that nightstand. I make sure to continue the trend because it reminds me of her and I feel so blessed to have such a visual reminder of one of the greatest women I will ever know.

It’s the simple things that a lot of people take for granted, that a lot of people lose sight of. It’s those little things that can bring us back from the brink of despair and give us insight into a path we never knew existed. I’m grateful to have my daughter here to point those simple things out to me and remind me so very often that there is too much going on in this world, too many wonders provided to us by the Good Lord to be caught up in the harshness of reality and the common worries of humanity. That and it’s just so much easier to sit back and enjoy.

Everything we possess that is not necessary for life or happiness becomes a burden, and scarcely a day passes that we do not add to it.  ~Robert Brault

1 comment: